Sunday 16 October 2011

This Time I'm Right - Star Trek Edition

This movie makes me sentimental for a period of Star Trek I couldn't give a shit about - not that I don't care for the franchise or anything, DS9 is one of the best serials around - just I never really liked the original crew's adventures. Maybe sentimental's the wrong word - more respect. Not just for the characters and how good the new actors are, but also how well written they are. Each character had an interesting inroduction or part in the story.

Beyond that, the whole thing is just so well written and it's not just a reboot or retelling, it actually continues the universe from where other movies left off. Not story-wise, but chronologically. That's what I love most, everything that we know has happeneding in the movies and series, has still happened, it is not wiped out of continuity. And we now also get to build a new continuity. Brilliant scripting.

I also like how a lot of it is explained with made up science and is consistent within its own universe, but they also explain it with, and use science, as we understand it and not just settle for technobabble and leave it.

But wait, towards the end, could this be a low point? Oh look, a giant drill fallling to Earth, heading towards a famous landmark to destroy, how typically boring... wait, it missed? No damage? Another reason why this movie is great.

Honestly, there is nothing in this movie I can have a go at. It's full of great action scenes and characters all the way through.

No comments: